The Canossian Sisters
The Canossian Daughters of Charity, Servants of the Poor are an international missionary congregation of women founded by St. Magdalene of Canossa, canonized in 1988. Our actions arise from our identity born of Christ crucified, the Greatest Love. We are called to journey in simplicity, sharing a common life at the service of our brothers and sisters on every continent. Through ministries of education and human promotion, evangelization and faith formation, and pastoral care among the suffering, we strive to touch each person with the love of God. Our motto is “to make Jesus known and loved,” especially to those most in need.
Magdalene of Canossa, canonized in 1988, was a woman of noble birth who ardently desired to live in service among her “beloved poor.”
In 1808, she gathered several companions to assist her in meeting the needs of the neglected in Verona, Italy. Since then, women and men inspired by her to serve as sisters, priests, brothers, lay missionaries, and volunteers have witnessed to the Greatest Love all over the world.
With the opening of the first Mission house in 1860, the Institute of Magdalene of Canossa has spread to Asia, North America, South America, Africa, Australia and Europe.